Obama Signs law giving him Lifetime Secret Service



From: United States Secret Service: Frequently Asked Questions

How long do former presidents receive Secret Service protection after they leave office?

In 1965, Congress authorized the Secret Service (Public Law 89-186) to protect a former president and his/her spouse during their lifetime, unless they decline protection. In 1997, Congress enacted legislation (Public Law 103-329) that limits Secret Service protection for former presidents to 10 years after leaving office. Under this new law, individuals who are in office before January 1, 1997, will continue to receive Secret Service protection for their lifetime. Individuals elected to office after that time will receive protection for 10 years after leaving office. Therefore, President Clinton will be the last president to receive lifetime protection.

So he went back to what was signed in 1965, and negated what was signed in 1997. Big fucking deal...

Not to mention this includes his predecessor, so all this does is null & void the 1997 bill, and every President since 1965 gets full lifetime protection, including Bush.
 
Hello friends,

Maybe it because people with gun want to kill him for try take away there gun?

Good luck bros
 
Limit the rights other citizens to protect themselves with guns, but expand your own protection with them.

You don't think the hypocrisy is a big deal?

Why not maybe wait until he tries to limit the rights of other citizens to protect themselves with guns before you bitch about it?

He hasn't even done anything yet, and you guys are acting as if the 2nd civil war is already here. Get a grip.
 
From: United States Secret Service: Frequently Asked Questions



So he went back to what was signed in 1965, and negated what was signed in 1997. Big fucking deal...

Not to mention this includes his predecessor, so all this does is null & void the 1997 bill, and every President since 1965 gets full lifetime protection, including Bush.

I actually have no problem w/ lifetime protection and actually assumed it was already in place. But as UG says below its very hypocritical to expand his rights while limiting ours.
 
Why not maybe wait until he tries to limit the rights of other citizens to protect themselves with guns before you bitch about it?

He hasn't even done anything yet, and you guys are acting as if the 2nd civil war is already here. Get a grip.

So, you're saying wait until it becomes law and is too late, rather than voice a dissenting opinion on it beforehand? Seems legit.

Obama has made it very clear he fully intends to limit gun rights in this country, and if he can't get it through Congress it will be with an Executive Order.
 
Why not maybe wait until he tries to limit the rights of other citizens to protect themselves with guns before you bitch about it?

He hasn't even done anything yet, and you guys are acting as if the 2nd civil war is already here. Get a grip.

What do you think these words mean?

The president is going to act. Executive orders, executive action, can be taken,"

If you wait till he takes action it will be to late
 
If you wait till he takes action it will be to late

For some reason, I doubt it. I'm going to go under the wild & crazy assumption that you guys aren't relinquishing your guns, regardless of what laws get passed. I'm quite certain the government knows this too, and I'm quite certain the government doesn't want a bunch of dead cops laying around who were trying to confiscate guns.

Again, why not wait until something happens? A background check for ammo or something isn't the end of the world. If anything, if you're a law-abiding gun owner, you should be fully supportive of a quick 30 second check to purchase ammo.
 
PS. The one thing I would get truly worried about is if armed guards ended up getting deployed to schools, like the NRA suggests. That idea scares the hell out of me.

Having to get a 30 second background check for ammo? Big fucking deal...
 
If anything, if you're a law-abiding gun owner, you should be fully supportive of a quick 30 second check to purchase ammo.

Yes, because it takes 30 seconds to conduct a background check to contact:

- Your state's Attorney General's office
- US Department of Justice
- Local courts to check for restraining orders

TnVBc.gif
 
For some reason, I doubt it. I'm going to go under the wild & crazy assumption that you guys aren't relinquishing your guns, regardless of what laws get passed. I'm quite certain the government knows this too, and I'm quite certain the government doesn't want a bunch of dead cops laying around who were trying to confiscate guns.

The erosion of rights is usually a death by a thousand cuts. I don't think they'll try to confiscate anything either for the reasons you mentioned, but they have, and will continue to take every opportunity to chip away bit by bit at who can buy what. Outlawing the new manufacturing of certain types of firearms for sale to individuals, for example. Over the years to come those kinds of firearms will become more and more difficult to purchase at shows and stores, they'll rust and break, etc. A few of these kinds of legislative moves and a couple generations later, we'll be left trying to shoot airsoft pellets out of squirt guns.

Again, why not wait until something happens? A background check for ammo or something isn't the end of the world. If anything, if you're a law-abiding gun owner, you should be fully supportive of a quick 30 second check to purchase ammo.

Yeah I guess. But we have the second amendment. For firearm supporters it's a moot point. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It's difficult to argue that a check is not an infringement, imo.
 
For some reason, I doubt it. I'm going to go under the wild & crazy assumption that you guys aren't relinquishing your guns, regardless of what laws get passed. I'm quite certain the government knows this too, and I'm quite certain the government doesn't want a bunch of dead cops laying around who were trying to confiscate guns.

So law-abiding citizens get turned into criminals with the stroke of a pen?

Why? What do you think the governments reasoning is on wanting gun control? To reduce gun deaths? 95% of all gun deaths are from handguns, so that's not it. Why then? Why are they trying to limit something that has served the citizens well since the founding of the country?

Would it have saved any of the kids at Sandy Hook? No - the guns were his mothers, and she passed a background check. Would it have prevented Columbine? No - the assault weapons ban had been in place for 5 years when that happened. Virginia Tech? Nope, he used handguns.

So very few if any of these shootings would be prevented, but meanwhile millions of Americans are turned into criminals for not wanting their rights infringed. All because a bunch of irrational fucktards "just want something done".
 
Why? What do you think the governments reasoning is on wanting gun control? To reduce gun deaths? 95% of all gun deaths are from handguns, so that's not it. Why then? Why are they trying to limit something that has served the citizens well since the founding of the country?

To pander to the masses in order to get elected again, and line their pockets while they're at it, I would imagine.

Anyway, I'm way too tired (and have too many drinks in me) for my own good, so I'm off to sleep! Enjoy getting worked up over actions that haven't even taken place yet!
 
For some reason, I doubt it. I'm going to go under the wild & crazy assumption that you guys aren't relinquishing your guns, regardless of what laws get passed. I'm quite certain the government knows this too, and I'm quite certain the government doesn't want a bunch of dead cops laying around who were trying to confiscate guns.

Again, why not wait until something happens? A background check for ammo or something isn't the end of the world. If anything, if you're a law-abiding gun owner, you should be fully supportive of a quick 30 second check to purchase ammo.

You do realize that the sandy hook shooter tried to buy a rifle a week before the shooting. They did a background check and he failed. They didn't sell him that gun. The system worked flawlessly. You know what happened? next
 
kioppa_matt hates freedom. My guess is cos it's not PHP.

No issues with people owning guns. If you're a good guy, go ahead and stock up on 1200 of the things if you want. I could care less.

I just don't understand why people are so enraged. For all we know, Obama is going to show up on the red carpet, and interrupt our oh-so-important primetime TV, to say that the taxpayers need to cough up an extra $80 billion to fund mental health institutions nationwide, as prevention is the best method to ensure mass shootings never occur again.

Who knows. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. The Whitehouse has yet to give any indication whatsoever as to what they'd like to do, but yet, people seem to be expecting the cops at their door any day now to confiscate their guns. Calm down a bit, and wait to see what happens is all I'm saying.
 
No issues with people owning guns. If you're a good guy, go ahead and stock up on 1200 of the things if you want. I could care less.

I just don't understand why people are so enraged. For all we know, Obama is going to show up on the red carpet, and interrupt our oh-so-important primetime TV, to say that the taxpayers need to cough up an extra $80 billion to fund mental health institutions nationwide, as prevention is the best method to ensure mass shootings never occur again.

Who knows. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. The Whitehouse has yet to give any indication whatsoever as to what they'd like to do, but yet, people seem to be expecting the cops at their door any day now to confiscate their guns. Calm down a bit, and wait to see what happens is all I'm saying.


Probably wont do a fucking thing on it. Its a given that he needs to put on a show for his base, but there is no need to actually do anything on the issue.

Is there enough momentum on this issue to peel off a few congressional seats in the next election? Going hard on this seems more likely to backfire.

Obama, and all politicians are self-serving. He'll posture because its expected of him.


Politics is a continuing series of manufactured crises.