Weaponry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the bed rack

bed-shotgun-rack.jpg
 


[ame=http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-GV1000DLX-MiniVault-Deluxe/dp/B000O8Q40S]Amazon.com: MiniVault Deluxe: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

This is what I store my pistol in. As for what pistol to buy, it's almost totally a personal choice.

If you're not familiar with firearms, I recommend a shotgun or one of those extra large mag lights. You're bound to be jumpy when you first start feeling the need to defend your home. At least with the flashlight, you'll only end up clubbing your kids heads in when they wake you up in the middle of the night. Hah.
 
For home defense my first choice would probably be the gun that I use to carry which is my Glock 26 9mm. Might seem underpowered to some, but when you use good hollow points it will put one hell of a hole in the threat and you don't really have to worry about over penetration.

Like some others have said, a flashlight is an absolute must in this situation, whether you get one mounted on the gun, or just one to keep in your other hand. If you need some tips on how to handle the gun/flashlight combo correctly just pm me.

Obviously you have to practice. Some live fire, but also do a lot of mental training for different situations. Another good way to practice is wait until everyone is gone, and do some training around the house with your gun unloaded. Dry-firing your gun is fine with new guns and provides a good sense of realism when training like this.
 

The scalloped bezel of that flashlight is a personal defense tool made to smash someone in the face with... which I suspect would hurt like a sonovabitch.

Look at SureFire Flashlight Product Line - Own the Best for more flashlights such as these. I've got one of the little Nitrolons that puts out 120 lumens with the high output lamp. It is blinding especially if your eyes are adjusted to the dark. It's also an excellent tool for computer repairs. I use it all the time and take it just about everywhere with me in my jacket or cargos pocket.

They make models that put out up to 500 lumens! Oh, and buying the lithium batteries from them is also vastly cheaper than most stores. They sell for up to £6 a piece here in Gib, and they are as low as $1.75 if you buy em in bulk from the manufacturer.
 
a shotgun really is a great option for home defense but it sounds like you'll want to go with a pistol if you plan on keeping it locked up without a giant gun safe.

keep in mind there is a good chance that once you get your first gun you'll really enjoy shooting it and want to pick up a couple more.

anyway as far as brands the springfield xd is really a great choice, i've had one for years. if you don't mind spending more money my favorite pistol i own is a h&k usp. if you're looking for something less expensive but still good quality i would recommend a taurus 24/7.

if i was only going to own one gun i'd probably want it chambered in .40 S&W -- it's a pretty good compromise between stopping power and magazine capacity. if you plan on going to the range a bunch, though, you may want to consider 9mm due to price. some people will tell you 9mm has inadequate stopping power but if you use the right ammunition that should not be a problem.
 
I guess this is something typically american, but I really don't understand why anyone would ever even consider buying a gun for another reason than the sport / hobby.

Suppose you have a gun and a burglar comes in your house, would you actually consider shooting him (/ being shot yourself trying)?

Is that even legal? I know that where I live you'd go to jail for that.

Not looking to offend anyone, just wondering, lol
 
I guess this is something typically american, but I really don't understand why anyone would ever even consider buying a gun for another reason than the sport / hobby.

Suppose you have a gun and a burglar comes in your house, would you actually consider shooting him (/ being shot yourself trying)?

Is that even legal? I know that where I live you'd go to jail for that.

Not looking to offend anyone, just wondering, lol

If someone comes into your home with the intent of killing you, I see no reason why you shouldn't kill them first.

In most states, that's legal.
 
Suppose you have a gun and a burglar comes in your house, would you actually consider shooting him (/ being shot yourself trying)?

Is that even legal? I know that where I live you'd go to jail for that.

oklahoma USA has a wonderful law called Stand Your Ground -- authorizes deadly force on your property (or even in your car) before they step foot inside, if a reasonable threat is perceived.

no sane person wants to shoot, injure, or kill another human being -- but we are a violent species, and if you're not prepared (or worse, allowed) to use the tools at our disposal to protect yourself and your loved ones then your chance of losing your life or the lives of your loved ones when it matters skyrockets.

sold ADT many years back and I've seen the statistics, heard, and told some horror stories. burglars are the low man on the threat totem, I've sat down with families who have had some heinous shit happen to them -- the worst I've seen was a home invasion where the husband was subdued and forced to watch his wife be raped. I cried like a baby (hell I'm tearing up now) when he told me how it went down, and will never forget them or the lessons learned through their experience. granted this is an Extremely Rare situation, but it can and does happen.

honestly All Crimes Are Relatively Rare, but if you do nothing but hope it doesn't happen to you, or counting on 'the next guy' getting robbed, burglarized or raped instead of learning how to prevent it yourself, then you're letting others dictate how your life plays out. I wouldn't, and don't.

and I recommend proper firearm training and gun ownership to everyone, in that order, unconditionally.
having a gun, knowing how to use it, and having the will to use it won't ever guarantee your safety.
but it sure as shit tilts the odds in your favor.
 
As times get tougher economically, self-defense will become more important. During the Depression, there was a lot of crime.

The Appleseed Project provides free training to women and kids with firearms, adult males have to pay. They will teach you how to be a proper rifleman in the American tradition, able to use a weapon effectively in self defense.

Don't overlook simple things like not showing off your wealth, and making sure your children and female family members are not casually exposed to silly risks. Women and kids are more likely targets than males. That's just fact. Look after them, and put them in a position to defend themselves or to get help quickly.

May we never have to practice self-defense, but if we do, may we be prepared to succeed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nevele
I guess this is something typically american, but I really don't understand why anyone would ever even consider buying a gun for another reason than the sport / hobby.

Suppose you have a gun and a burglar comes in your house, would you actually consider shooting him (/ being shot yourself trying)?

Is that even legal? I know that where I live you'd go to jail for that.

Not looking to offend anyone, just wondering, lol

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

Let's reverse the question. What would you do if a knife or gun wielding intruder (or intruders) entered your home in the middle of the night intent on robbing and perhaps killing you and your family.

While it doesn't happen that often, home invasion is still a big problem in Vancouver with the elderly often targeted, bound, beaten and tortured, while the bad guys leisurely ransack the home. If it were me, I would gladly put the invaders down like the sick animals that they are.
 
I guess this is something typically american, but I really don't understand why anyone would ever even consider buying a gun for another reason than the sport / hobby.

Suppose you have a gun and a burglar comes in your house, would you actually consider shooting him (/ being shot yourself trying)?

Is that even legal? I know that where I live you'd go to jail for that.

Not looking to offend anyone, just wondering, lol

Like I said above, due to my job I've had to deal with several threats to not only my life but that of my family. Some of them have been very detailed as to exactly how they're going to do these things. One guy is facing 11 counts of terroristic threats because of threats he made towards me and other officers. Now, I'm sure that 99 percent of those threats are bluff....but there's always a chance. We've had off-job officers get jumped and shot at before.

I know my wife wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone who came into the house with harm in mind. And if I see someone I recognize from this jail and he's anything but polite to my wife or kids, I'm not going to think twice about protecting the people I love.

Look, not 3 hours ago I had to slam someone because they tried to bite the nose off a female officer's face while he was chanting "In God's name!" over and over. People are out there who won't hesitate to hurt you. You need to look after yourself and look out for people who can't otherwise protect themselves.
 
If you have the space and time to maintain. Before buying a weapon. Why not consider a large dog or 2. All you need to do is keep them fed and play with them a few minutes a day and they will literally kill for you (protect you).

I've got a friend with 12 Doberman Pinscher's on his land - they're fast and extremely loyal. Creating a barrier from the entrance on his land to his home.

He's got no complaints.
 
If you want it for your wife, then you need to go to the gun shop and get something that she is comfortable with. It does jack if she a) doesn't like guns b) can't hold c) doesn't know how to use it.

If you want something for home protection, that's good--I would not go with a shotgun. It's too tough to maneuver in the dark around doorways and halls, and the bad guy can see the barrel coming around the corner first and grab it if they are close.

Regardless of the weapon, you and your wife MUST get trained in how to use it, how to shoot comfortably, and what the rules of engagement are. You don't want her in a situation where she blows away the UPS guy; alternatley, you don't want to come and find her hurt and the whole wall peppered with bullets but the bad guy didn't get hit.

I would seriously recommend reading "The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning, Second Edition" by John S. Farnam. It will talk about what to consider in home defense. Then get to the range, find an instructor, and get your wife shooting. You both need to get shooting and get some drills down.

Buying a gun is great, but simply having it is like buying a fire extinguisher and calling yourself a fireman.

The XD's are a great pistol--a .45 will actually kick a little less that .40. I would look at a Glock as well for your wife, it might fit her hand smaller. Go to the range, and test fit a bunch of guns. Both of you can find one that should work.

The safe is a must--they make a great one where it's a hand pad and a combination of finger taps opens it. Also have ones with a biometric fingerprint reader.

Don't get hung up on "this gun is better than that gun" or ultra cool ninja-gun shit. You want a tool that makes non-survivable holes in soft tissue. The firefight will be over in less than 10 seconds and use less than 8 rounds at a distance of less than 21 feet, according to statistics. So, most of the "my gun is more badass than your gun" goes out the window. A 22 in my hands vs. a .40 in the hands of the girl who was that range next to me yesterday is a world of different. I put holes tight in the target with a tiny caliber. She put holes in the walls, the ceiling, all around the edges of the paper target and the floor a couple of times. The human silhouette on the target was untouched for most of her clips. So...she had a bigger, cooler gun--but which one of us would you rather be when it's 3am and something went "crash" in your living room?

The key again, to repeat over and over :) is get comfortable. It should be a muscle memory at the point of using it.
 
+1 for the remington 870 for home security. get the surefire on the front. no ones gonna live if they break in.
for concealed carry i'm picking up the smith and wesson 340pd .357. 12 ounces and packs a punch.
 
I guess this is something typically american, but I really don't understand why anyone would ever even consider buying a gun for another reason than the sport / hobby.

Suppose you have a gun and a burglar comes in your house, would you actually consider shooting him (/ being shot yourself trying)?

Is that even legal? I know that where I live you'd go to jail for that.

Not looking to offend anyone, just wondering, lol

Here in Kansas the law says we don't have to retreat, and can "stand our ground" as someone else mentioned if it's our property. If someone breaks in my house I'll have no problem shooting them and it will be perfectly legal.
 
If you have the space and time to maintain. Before buying a weapon. Why not consider a large dog or 2. All you need to do is keep them fed and play with them a few minutes a day and they will literally kill for you (protect you).

I've got a friend with 12 Doberman Pinscher's on his land - they're fast and extremely loyal. Creating a barrier from the entrance on his land to his home.

He's got no complaints.

Tried a dog. Had a Norwegian Elkhound. It was completely submissive to me, but the wife couldn't control it. It would snap at her if she tried to clip it's nails and so on...it tried to dominate the kids....(kids are 4, 2 and 1 month.)

Eventually the dog was given away to a friend's family with older kids.

Not saying a dog wouldn't be welcome, but I'd get an alarm system before I got another dog. Alarm systems rarely shit, and hardly ever chew up my new $90 gaming headphones.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.