Bread and circuses is the future for humanity.
Thats all been done before. make the population stupid, and make them feel worthless and that the only way they can ever be enlightened is through consumption and having money. thus keeping them on the treadmill until they have died, contributing nothing but just being a transfer agent of money.
You could argue that money is a good motivation for innovation, but I would argue that it is a hindrance.
The thing is, we should learn from history, what is being suggested in that film has never been done before.
edit: @ andrew - funny thing is I kind of thought that it might be like that aswell, but I Think there should be a balance of dependency on technology. I think that artificial intelligence will never take over, its just a myth fueled by hollywood. I think that technology will have the same affect as the motor did on human society, and motors require external energy (fuel) in order to work. I think it will be the same with the computers of tomorrow, they will operate so long as we have switched them on, and when we dont need them, just hit the off button.