20/20 - STOSSEL DESTROYS OBAMA ON HEALTHCARE

Interesting clip, and I agree - profit, or the potential for profit, drives innovation. There will never be a system in which everyone gets everything they want.
There will always be someone on top and someone on bottom...and someone is always going to get fucked. :uhoh2:
 


Could you expound on this? Are you just talking rolling back government regulation and redtape, etc..? What exactly is stifling this market?
How much time do you have? Here is a start. I have to get back to work.

Licensing

The purpose of the AMA has always been to keep physicians wages high.
How Government Solved the Health Care Crisis

Regulation

Regulation creates artificial scarcity and increases compliance costs (barriers to entry). Most of the cost of drug development, is actually meeting FDA approval standards. FDA approval doesn't isolate a firm from being sued from a bad drug, the FDA is just a racket that sells licenses to market drugs. The FDA is completely unaccountable if they license something harmful.
Daniel B. Klein, Drug-Approval Denationalization | Library of Economics and Liberty

Monopoly

Existing government subsidization of health crowds out the free market by bidding away resources with no regard to cost. The government can outbid any private insurers or plans because their budget is for all intents and purposes, unlimited.

This raises prices in the aggregate because the private citizen trying to get access to health care, isn't only competing against "corporate greed" [sic] but against government services as well.

If a doctor can only see one person, you or someone with medicare, there is a bidding war for who gets that last spot. A bidding war that drives prices up.

An ideal, would be two doctors with two spots, and you are the only waiting patient. Now they have to lower their price, to entice you to go with one over the other. That is a bidding war for patients.
 
guerilla is 100% right. For normal things I pay cash, always have, always will. I don't want "insurance" for a doctor's visit, I can get that for around $30-$50 anyway. What I want is real insurance.

Get rid of all the crap I don't need (and neither do the other people) and that $1,000 a month could easily be chopped in half.

I use that same car insurance analogy when trying to explain this to my friends/family. If your car insurance covered oil changes, tires, paint jobs, etc... do you think it would be as cheap as it is now?