Anyone recently made the move from a Mac to a PC?

Windows 7 = Rock solid. I bought my PC in January of this year, it hasn't crashed once.

Get a mac if you have kids whose brains aren't fully developed yet, the big buttons should be easier to navigate. As a bonus, if they spill juice and food on it it won't matter because if you're a good parent you'll be switching to a PC when they reach 3 years of age.

lol

you have no idea what you are talking about. apparently a good interface means its for kids and retards only. only smart people should use poorly designed systems.

unix > anything ms has ever created or copied. couple it with great ui and support and thats why almost nobody ever goes back once they buy a mac.
 


Uh, wut? Macs use Nvidia cards and their monitors most often have an LG panel in them... so the colours are the same as those on a PC running a similar setup. Adobe RGB or sRGB space is the same on any platform using similar hardware.

Hm, I may be wrong, but it seems that colors change a little on Windows even with a better graphic card/monitor, which matters a bit for print designs. Does anybody know for sure?
 
lol

you have no idea what you are talking about. apparently a good interface means its for kids and retards only. only smart people should use poorly designed systems.

unix > anything ms has ever created or copied. couple it with great ui and support and thats why almost nobody ever goes back once they buy a mac.

If by 'good' you mean drastically oversimplified to the point of uselessness, and if by 'poorly designed' you mean functional/comprehensive. Yes, that's exactly right. Smart people should keep using what smart people can use, and children or people with mild retardation should use systems built for their special needs.

The answer to the second part of your statement is trumped by the real question.
Which is 'why did the PC user go to Mac in the first place?'.

If you have at least 1 PC in the house, you're intelligence should be at a baseline high enough for you to formulate the answer.
 
If by 'good' you mean drastically oversimplified to the point of uselessness, and if by 'poorly designed' you mean functional/comprehensive. Yes, that's exactly right. Smart people should keep using what smart people can use, and children or people with mild retardation should use systems built for their special needs.

The answer to the second part of your statement is trumped by the real question.
Which is 'why did the PC user go to Mac in the first place?'.

If you have at least 1 PC in the house, you're intelligence should be at a baseline high enough for you to formulate the answer.

why did I go to a mac in the first place?

because I got sick of a bunch of stupid Taiwanese companies churning out shitty driver updates causing all sorts of .dll fun on Windows XP for their cheap penny pinching components, I got sick of troubleshooting failed hardware due to poor quality control, and wanted an OS that was simplified.


because I actually make my living from a computer and don't wage retarded windows/mac wars calling the other respective users 'dumb' or 'childish' as you do (which is OH SO NOT childish, oh wait) these things matter.

I intentionally paid a premium for standardized hardware and an OS that I felt functioned better for my day to day workflow. Because while you're playing the 'apple tax' or 'lol kids' game I'm playing the penthouse tax bracket game. And I simply need a tool to do it, a tool that functions well and is realiable a higher percentage of the time is valuable to me, and a tool that I'm more familiar with allows me to spit out articles by distinguished reporters talking about 'how they been had berriez' quicker.

NOW - given windows improvements as of late with respect to the shit that drove me nuts (driver/patch/bullshit problems that I *COULD* fix yet sucked my very expensive time) and Apple's lack of attention to updating hardware that I now am at the point of needing an upgrade I'm debating making the move back - you know given I'm all about making money and not picking sides (beyond individual preference) in a computer fanboi war.

This is the same reason that if I go with a PC it'll be a workstation from dell/hp/etc. If shit breaks it needs to be swapped out quickly. It's the same reason my servers have hot swappable raid arrays instead of "look at my dedicated box for only $89.99/month!111.

If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense.

Get it?
 
Step 1.) Buy compatible PC components from Newegg.
Step 2.) Be sure you get an Intel SSD as you will be using this as your OS drive, and a normal larger HDD as your slave drive.
Step 3.) Build PC.
Step 4.) ????
Step 5. Profit! (Photoshop will literally open in 2 seconds if not less.)

Oh and you're going to need a 64 bit OS if you're planning on having more than 3GB of ram. (Get the fastest DDR3 that you can but make sure your mobo is compatible with it.)
 
Hm, I may be wrong, but it seems that colors change a little on Windows even with a better graphic card/monitor, which matters a bit for print designs. Does anybody know for sure?

Yeah, I'm a print designer :) Worked for a couple different magazine publishers in my time and have produced hundreds of ads for print publications, brochures, catalogues, business cards, etc. etc. etc.

Prior to Snow Leopard Macs used gamma of 1.8 versus PC/TV gamma of 2.2. Right out of the box it was possible that Mac colours would have appeared brighter. People would do web or video work on the Mac and it would look darker on the PC. This didn't equate to better colour accuracy or better colour though, but instead artificially brighter colours.

Since Snow Leopard Mac gamma has been 2.2 as default, so there's really no difference now. It is possible that the more expensive Mac monitors are by default of a better quality than your average PC user's monitor, using higher end panels that have a wider gamut range. However, if you are buying similarly high end panels for the PC (higher end Dells, Samsung, LG, Viewsonic, HP, etc.), then there should be no discernible difference.

I also think for the average Joe there might be some psychological thing going on, that when you look at those nice looking shiny Apple monitors things just seem more pretty ;)

When it comes to print work it is especially important to get your colour calibration right, and if you calibrate either system correctly the colours should be about the same.
 
Step 1.) Buy compatible PC components from Newegg.
Step 2.) Be sure you get an Intel SSD as you will be using this as your OS drive, and a normal larger HDD as your slave drive.
Step 3.) Build PC.
Step 4.) ????
Step 5. Profit! (Photoshop will literally open in 2 seconds if not less.)

Oh and you're going to need a 64 bit OS if you're planning on having more than 3GB of ram. (Get the fastest DDR3 that you can but make sure your mobo is compatible with it.)

I just built a new PC and I didn't get an SSD... they are still prone to way too many problems. (3 dead in 18 months)
 
Yeah, I'm a print designer :) Worked for a couple different magazine publishers in my time and have produced hundreds of ads for print publications, brochures, catalogues, business cards, etc. etc. etc.

Prior to Snow Leopard Macs used gamma of 1.8 versus PC/TV gamma of 2.2. Right out of the box it was possible that Mac colours would have appeared brighter. People would do web or video work on the Mac and it would look darker on the PC. This didn't equate to better colour accuracy or better colour though, but instead artificially brighter colours.

Since Snow Leopard Mac gamma has been 2.2 as default, so there's really no difference now. It is possible that the more expensive Mac monitors are by default of a better quality than your average PC user's monitor, using higher end panels that have a wider gamut range. However, if you are buying similarly high end panels for the PC (higher end Dells, Samsung, LG, Viewsonic, HP, etc.), then there should be no discernible difference.

I also think for the average Joe there might be some psychological thing going on, that when you look at those nice looking shiny Apple monitors things just seem more pretty ;)

When it comes to print work it is especially important to get your colour calibration right, and if you calibrate either system correctly the colours should be about the same.


How would YOU go about calibrating monitors correctly? (genuine question)
 
My first introduction to computing was in 7th grade, with the Apple IIc. I loved that thing. But as far as I'm concerned Apple computers started to suck at a rapid pace after that.

My ex girlfriend had a Macbook Pro, as does her predecessor. The ex bought it because they didn't have a regular Macbook available in grey, and that was a deal breaker. The current one is an art/fashion student, so, you know.

I also encouraged my aging grandfather to get a Macbook Pro as his first computer.

I, however, just find them awkward and am much more comfortable on a PC.
 
I still do a lot of video editing with my pron productions, but I just can't make that switch to the Apple. No matter how much people rave about them. I've used Apples many different times over the years, but I just can't let go of the PC>
:food-smiley-010:
 
How would YOU go about calibrating monitors correctly? (genuine question)

This works pretty good for an entry level calibration tool.

Monitor & Printer Profiling - X-Rite Eye-One Display 2

I have one, though to be honest I haven't calibrated for awhile. I'm lazy like that but I also know this monitor (Dell Ultrasharp) is pretty accurate. I also have the entire set of Pantone books to double check colour, or input formula numbers directly if I need to.

There's also this which is cheaper, but I have no experience with it and I think it gets mixed reviews.

Monitor & Printer Profiling - hueyPRO

Then there are other colour matching products like these...

Monitor & Printer Profiling - Color Checker Passport
Monitor & Printer Profiling - GretagMacbeth® ColorChecker
Monitor & Printer Profiling - ColorMunki Design

Then you could get into something like this is you are really serious about calibrating all your devices...

Monitor & Printer Profiling - i1 XTreme

There are also other devices out there like these from other companies. You need to do your research as there are new ones all the time.
 
Honest if you don't use a mac, you're an idiot. I can't explain it more than that, in every way possible. Mac has allowed me to make so much more monies.
 
If by 'good' you mean drastically oversimplified to the point of uselessness, and if by 'poorly designed' you mean functional/comprehensive. Yes, that's exactly right. Smart people should keep using what smart people can use, and children or people with mild retardation should use systems built for their special needs.

The answer to the second part of your statement is trumped by the real question.
Which is 'why did the PC user go to Mac in the first place?'.

If you have at least 1 PC in the house, you're intelligence should be at a baseline high enough for you to formulate the answer.

I have about 15 computers in my house that are used daily, not including virtual machines, and about half are windows boxes. I also have a degree in computer science. With that said, Macs are better for almost every user group i can think of outside of people who do not make heavy use of their computer or who are looking for the cheapest solution and either have good technical knowledge or some family member to bug, or who are doing .NET / windows development.

You're statement about about "oversimplified" shows me you don't know shit about macs or you havent touched one in the last decade since OS X.
 
I followed this guide for my osx86 build - Install Snow Leopard on Your Hackintosh PC, No Hacking Required

Took about a few hours to get it up and running, including putting the rig together. Just bump the processor and graphics card to what you need. Make sure to get the Gigabyte motherboard listed.

For a list of compatible graphics cards, check here - HCL 10.6.2 - OSx86

I know you said you didn't want to mess around with the hackintosh scene, but this is as simple and problem free as it gets.
 
They both have their short comings. I use OS X 95% of the time and Windows the other 5%. Windows is more user friendly, just about 99% of everything you would ever want to do has a GUI or someone has made something so you can. In OS X you have to open terminal to show hidden files... and other random stuff.

Windows works with everything, especially Windows 7... plus never crashes anymore. At least for me... which is great.

I just find myself to be more productive in OS X and I never have to fear a virus. But I still dual boot with Windows 7 for when I need a Windows only application, or one that is free in Windows and not in OS X.

I believe it will always come down to ones personal preference and taste... and how much disposable income he or she has.
 
425.pattinson.lautner.lr.0711409.jpg


teem jacob or edward gaiz?

In all seriousness I use PC, MACS and Clecovision all have pros and cons, if your debating about Mac vs PC you may as well post your take on the subject above :)

I like PCs because you can mix match and Frankenstein the parts and add da watacooling for da 1337 FPS on da gamez, I like Macs because they're purdy and they match my shoes.
 
I have about 15 computers in my house that are used daily, not including virtual machines, and about half are windows boxes. I also have a degree in computer science. With that said, Macs are better for almost every user group i can think of outside of people who do not make heavy use of their computer or who are looking for the cheapest solution and either have good technical knowledge or some family member to bug, or who are doing .NET / windows development.

You're statement about about "oversimplified" shows me you don't know shit about macs or you havent touched one in the last decade since OS X.

Word. I bought a Mac about a year ago and kept going back to one of my pcs by default. I then forced myself to use the Mac exclusively for a week or so. I now avoid pcs at all costs and get annoyed by how unproductive and clunky Windows is.

If the idiot you've quoted thinks simplicity is stupid, why not use something even harder than Windows? The fact is, why do i want to clicky, click every cunting box and piece of bollocks along with confirmation messages and keeping an eye on security? I turn it on, press cmd+space, and open anything i want with no clicks. I also close, go between and operate everything with no clicks and without lengthy windows style 'shortcuts'.

You confuse usability with simplicity and usability isn't retarded, it's sensible and quicker. Unneccesaary complexity is retarded. I can turn on my mac and open a file and edit it in seconds. I still use Windows and will always, but my weapon of choice is no longer Windows, because i took the time to learn something new and discovered a more comfortable computing experience.
 
I wasnt even gonna get into this convo, but..

I got a ton of computers at the house, most of them windows OS's ranging from 2003, XP, and Vista as well as 1 VM with win7. I had been using windows since 95.

The others are OS X on MBP.

At some time though in the past, I was running Linux a lot to learn it and use it and have installed Linux OS's on a ton of machines. The OS's ranged from Ubuntu, DSL, Mint, slackware, gentoo, puppy, Debian, and a few others.

From all that experience, i decided to ditch Linux. Trying to keep up with hardware and driver issues, researching problems, finding compatible software/apps, folder structure, etc.. it was just hurting my productivity. I can say, when I got linux to work right.. it was great and fun, but it seemed like too much work for my taste. Its kinda like an exotic sports car.. fun to lease or test drive, but I wouldnt want to own one since I know what kind of maintenance they require.

Windows just works for me. yes I get blue screen of death and get the HD crash or bad .dll, but a lot of the times I know what I need to do to correct it.. and many times its just a simple reboot. Whereas with linux I felt I needed to search for 3 days for the answer.

Mac on the other hand, I dont see the big deal with it. I get that fucking beachball spin wheel shit all the time and I am always repairing my permissions on the HD and other good stuff and its seems just like Windows to me. However, I have grown use to it 100x faster then linux and use it as part of my day to day routine.

Just pick what you can work with best and easiest.
 
Ubuntu + Laptop w/ MultiTouch trackpad + VirtualBox w/ Win7 (Seamless Mode) = Win.

At least for me.

Ubuntu 10.04 is dead fucking easy. I have it not only as my main OS, but it's also running on my girlfriend and my mom's laptops. They have no issues whatsoever, and rarely need me.

As a matter of fact, I do less tech support with them running Ubuntu than I did with Vista and W7...

That being said, W7 is fucking good.
And Mac needs to open up OS-X to run on more PC hardware.